40 Of the Best Irish Wedding Songs To Dance to!
Planning an Irish wedding? Well then, picture this, you’re high up in the impossibly green cliffs of Ireland with your beloved, the priest officiating the wedding while sheep run in the meadow behind you… or you could just play some classic Irish wedding songs.
Now, unless you’ve already booked your flight up to the highlands, the second option is just much easier (and safer, because there’s a lower chance of the Loch Ness Monster showing up at your wedding)… which is why we’re here for you!
To help you get some of that rich Irish spirit in your big day, we went ahead and collected 40 of the best Irish wedding songs and divided them into traditional, romantic, modern, and upbeat to make your choices easier!
Table of Contents
Traditional Irish Wedding Songs
Thinking of showing your best rendition of the classic Irish jig? If so, then these traditional Irish wedding songs should be perfect! Whether you’re looking for a song for the bridal walk, the first dance with your beloved, or even some absolute bangers for the reception party, these classic songs should go hand-in-hand. Don’t leave your playlist without ‘em!
- “She Moved Through the Fair” by Padraic Colum
- “The Galway Shawl” by Steve Earle
- “The Fields of Athenry” by Pete St. John
- “Danny Boy” by Frederic Weatherly
- “The Parting Glass” by The High Kings
- “The Wild Rover” by The Dubliners
- “Star of the County Down” by Van Morrison
- “The Rocky Road to Dublin” by The Dubliners
- “Níl Sé’n Lá” by The Chieftains with Sting
- “Finnegan’s Wake” by The Clancy Brothers
Romantic Irish Wedding Songs
The Irish countryside is often deemed as romantic, what with its rolling hills and impossible greenery, but that doesn’t mean that it’s the only romantic thing out of good ol’ Ireland! Here, we listed down our favorite romantic Irish wedding songs, all served up on a silver platter for you to listen and cry to during your big day.
We got everything from Jim McCann to Glen Hansard, so make sure those napkins are ready for when everybody starts shedding a tear or two! It’s time to feel the love all around you!
- “Grace” by Jim McCann
- “Black Velvet Band” by The Dubliners
- “My Love Is Like a Red Red Rose” by Robert Burns
- “Bright Blue Rose” by Mary Black
- “The Voyage” by Christy Moore
- “Only a Woman’s Heart” by Eleanor McEvoy
- “Raglan Road” by Luke Kelly
- “My Lagan Love” by The Chieftains
- “The Dutchman” by Liam Clancy
- “Falling Slowly” by Glen Hansard
Modern Irish Wedding Songs
You may not know it, but there are actually plenty of modern artists today that are not only of Irish descent, but also make Irish songs! So, if you want a more modern twist at your nuptials while still keeping it, err… shamrock-friendly, then here are some of the best songs you can find in the charts today!
Our favorite, of course, goes to Ed Sheeran’s “Galway Girl,” which features an Irish jig so infectious that don’t start blaming us if your reception party starts a little early! Then there’s also “Run” by Snow Patrol, which is a sing-along classic that we’re sure everyone would enjoy!
- “Moondance” by Van Morrison
- “The One” by Kodaline
- “Galway Girl” by Ed Sheeran
- “All Your’n” by Ryan Sheridan
- “For the First Time” by The Script
- “Always” by Gavin James
- “Run” by Snow Patrol
- “Magic” by Kodaline
- “Budapest” by George Ezra
- “All I Want” by Kodaline
Upbeat Irish Wedding Songs
And speaking of reception parties, it’s time to finally let loose and show everybody your best Irish two-step with these upbeat Irish Wedding Songs! Whether you want something rocking like Thin Lizzy’s “Whiskey in the Jar” or a boot-tapping classic to sing along with everyone like The Waterboys’ “Fisherman’s Blues,” these picks should help your wedding DJ take the party to the next level!
- “Fisherman’s Blues” by The Waterboys
- “Tell Me Ma” by Sham Rock
- “Irish Rover” by The Pogues and The Dubliners
- “Seven Drunken Nights” by The Dubliners
- “Whistle Down the Wind” by Nicky Heyward
- “The Auld Triangle” by The Dubliners
- “Galway Girl” by Mundy
- “Irish Heartbeat” by Van Morrison and The Chieftains
- “Dirty Old Town” by The Pogues
- “Whiskey in the Jar” by Thin Lizzy
FAQ Section: Irish Wedding Songs
Are Irish wedding songs only suitable for Irish weddings?
Not at all! Irish wedding songs are universally cherished for their emotive melodies and meaningful lyrics. This means that whatever the celebration or your cultural background might be, these songs sould add a unique and enchanting touch, guaranteed!
Can I mix traditional and modern Irish wedding songs in my playlist?
Absolutely! Mixing traditional and modern songs allows you to create a diverse and engaging playlist that caters to different tastes. Not only that, but it also adds much-needed depth to any wedding soundtrack, all while showcasing Ireland’s rich musical heritage, bagpipe music included!
Are there instrumental Irish songs suitable for weddings?
Certainly! Instrumental Irish songs, with their timeless melodies, are perfect for creating a serene and contemplative atmosphere during your wedding. Pieces like “Níl Sé’n Lá” or “Eleanor Plunkett” are excellent choices, per our own recommendations!
Tips for Picking the Best Irish Wedding Songs
- Start Early – Begin curating your playlist well in advance. By doing this, you should have ample time to do your research, consult with your partner or family, and make other necessary adjustments to further fine tune the playlist.
- Collaborate on a Shared Playlist – Next up, create a collaborative playlist that you and your partner (along with some friends and family, if you prefer) can contribute to along the way. By getting input from everybody, you can get a much more inclusive feel of the type of Irish wedding songs that people would want to hear in your nuptials!
- Create Playlist Segments – If you can, try to organize your playlist into separate segments as well, like for the pre-ceremony, ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and reception. This makes it easier to manage and plan!
- Test the Danceability – Once you have a proper playlist, try to test the danceability of the songs with your partner. Check how you feel with the songs, and whether the vibe they give is the one you want for your wedding!
- Make A Do-Not-Play List – If you want, you can also compile a list of songs that are a no-go for your party. This helps avoid any awkward or uncomfortable moments during your wedding, especially if your wedding DJ is accepting requests from your guests.
- Consult with Your Wedding DJ – Of course, we also recommend getting in touch with your wedding DJ long before your wedding in order to discuss your song choice, transitions, and other preferences for your wedding. Discuss any backup plans too, as well as your expectations for your upcoming big day!
Whether you have some Irish heritage or just kinda wish you were (we can’t blame you, they have some really picturesque landscapes!), these Irish wedding songs should add the right amount of Celtic touch to your wedding ceremony.
Just remember to stay true to the songs that you already love, and everything else should be easy!
But just in case you don’t have the perfect wedding DJ yet to help make sure your Irish jig is on time, consider working with our team here at DJing.ca!
As the largest DJ company in Canada, we here at DJing.ca specialize in all sorts of events, and that includes your wedding! We also only work with the top 1% of DJs in Canada, and have more than 1,000+ successful events under our belt. We also have a stellar 5-star rating, and all of our packages come at great prices.
So, hit us up today for a quote and we’ll immediately get back to you in no time! Looking forward to hearing from you!